[cgfc] CGFC's Weekly Bytes, Vol.1, #8

Lisa BK lisabk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 13:40:38 CDT 2005

GREETINGS!

Welcome to Common Ground Food Co-op's weekly (for now) e-newsletter! You're
getting this
missive because you're a member of Common Ground who's also signed up to be
on the CGFC
mailing list. If you aren't interested in receiving these updates, please
email
commongroundfoodcoop at gmail.com. A paper version is posted on the bulletin
board in the
store.

Every week, via this transmission, members are provided with store
updates/news, links to
relevant news items/political actions, and other bits and pieces worthy of
mention. If you
have anything of a similar bent you think members should know about, please
email links to
commongroundfoodcoop at gmail.com. Thanks!

STORE/LOCAL NEWS:

****Only two More Urbana Farmers' Markets left for us! CGFC's scheduled to
appear every
Saturday in September. If you're interested in taking a shift at our
centrally-located/often
stopped-at booth, please email Lisa at the address above. Thanks!

****In Case You Missed it:"Common Ground Food Co-op is collecting aid to
send to Hurricane
Katrina victims.

We will be sending money to Second Harvest, which is the national network of
food banks in
the US. Second Harvest is coordinating millions of pounds of food aid which
they are
trucking down to the areas in need so that people can eat.

They have established a special "Hurricane Katrina" fund and will use 100%
of money
collected to get food to people in need. They have requested monetary
donations to
facilitate the transportation of food from food banks and grocery stores
across the country
down to the areas in need. They have set up a warehouse in the Baton Rouge,
LA to act as
their Emergency Operations Center and to receive and distribute food.

Please consider donating to help people in this severe national crisis.

For more information on Second Harvest's efforts, please see their website
at

www.secondharvest.org <http://www.secondharvest.org> or call their Chicago
office at 1-800-771-2303 x207.

If you want to donate via the store, we're collecting money at the register.
If you'd rather
donate over the phone or online, please contact Second Harvest directly.

Second Harvest's latest press release is here:
http://www.secondharvest.org/site_content.asp?s=742.

Thanks."

EVENTS OF INTEREST:

****CGFC/OXFAM EVENT ALERT!!!!!****

Farming in other countries: A West African perspective

Farm and trade policies in the United States and European Union are creating
hardships for
family farmers across the world. In particular, agricultural subsidies
hamper efforts to
reduce poverty in poor countries, while undermining rural life here in the
US.
Due to a traveling snafu, our scheduled speaker for this event has changed.
Here's the
biography of the substitute speaker, also brought in by Oxfam:

Issa Daou and his nine siblings grew up on a farm in Koutiala, the biggest
cotton producing
region in Mali, where his father still maintains the family farm. After
obtaining a
veterinary technician degree, Mr. Daou worked for four years in Malian
cotton factories:
his work consisted of cleaning and baling cotton, as well as producing oil
from cotton
seeds. He eventually became an school teacher in the village of Tanjou where
he taught
agriculture and launched vegetable gardening projects with his students.

WHEN: Wednesday, September 14, 2005
WHERE: Common Ground Food Co-op
TIME: 7 pm

The talk will be in Bondurant Hall at the IDF, which is upstairs;
refreshments will be
provided. Hope to see you there!

****CANNING WORKSHOP/FUNDRAISER!!! Help get WRFU (Radio Free Urbana -
www.radiofreeurbana.org <http://www.radiofreeurbana.org>) on the air! Common
Ground and Prairie Table are co-sponsoring a
casual-but-productive fundraiser, and we need YOU to participate. If you've
ever thought
about preserving food but thought it would be too hard or (gulp!) too
dangerous, please come
hang out at the co-op this coming Sunday, September 18! We'll be in the
church kitchen,
canning tomatoes and roasting peppers and who knows what else from
noon-7PM.. Bring jars if
you have 'em, bring a water bath canner if you have one, and bring a few
dollars if you
want to take home a few jars! All proceeds (and food canned) will go toward
getting WRFU on
the air - the locally-sourced canned food will be used as part of a larger
fundraiser for the station later
this fall. Questions? Email Lisa at lisabk at gmail.com.

INFO OF INTEREST:

**** Great article in the September/October issue of Orion regarding
low-income access to
local, organic food. The article is not online; I'll have a copy of the
article in the store
on the resource table between the freezer and the bulk cereals.

**** Cool piece in Utne magazine about "guerilla grocers":

http://www.utne.com/pub/2005_131/view/11751-1.html

You have to pay for the article, but if someone wants to read it under the
table, I have
article text I can email. Contact me at lisabk at gmail.com!

**** The person who wrote the above article works here:

http://renewingthecountryside.org/content/blogcategory/69/45/

Looks pretty cool.

****"The Center for Informed Food Choices (CIFC) advocates for a diet based
on whole,
unprocessed, local, organically grown plant foods. CIFC believes that:
placing these foods
at the center of the plate is crucial for promoting public health,
protecting the
environment, and assuring the humane treatment of animals and food industry
workers.
Connecting the personal to the political, CIFC educates the public about how
our industrial
food system, along with corporate-influenced government policies, is the
root cause of a
host of preventable public health, environmental, and social justice
problems.
CIFC believes that making personal dietary improvements is just one
component of social
change. We advocate for social and political reforms that will support
people in making
healthy food choices over the long term, as well as in creating a more just,
humane, and
sustainable food system." Find them here:

http://www.informedeating.org/

**** Nothing better than kids discovering Swiss chard... and liking it!

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/brooklyn/nyc-nyskul044411428sep04,0,4861263.story

Please feel free to forward these links to people you think might benefit
from such
knowledge.

Thanks and look for #9 same time (more or less) next week!

::compiled by Outreach Co-coordinator Lisa Bralts-Kelly::