[cgfc] CGFC's Weekly Bytes, Vol.1, #9

Lisa BK lisabk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:20:36 CDT 2005

GREETINGS!

Welcome to Common Ground Food Co-op's weekly (for now) e-newsletter! You're
getting this missive because you're a member of Common Ground who's also
signed up to be on the CGFC mailing list. If you aren't interested in
receiving these updates, please email commongroundfoodcoop at gmail.com. A
paper version is posted on the bulletin board in the store.

Every week, via this transmission, members are provided with store
updates/news, links to relevant news items/political actions, and other bits
and pieces worthy of mention. If you have anything of a similar bent you
think members should know about, please email links to
commongroundfoodcoop at gmail.com. Thanks!

STORE/LOCAL NEWS:

****Only one more Urbana Farmers' Market left for us! CGFC's scheduled to
appear every Saturday in September, and the last one is suddenly upon us!
Thanks to everyone who hung out at the booth this summer.

****Several items are on sale in the store this month:

Cascade Fresh sour cream (small dairy... this is definitely the good stuff)
White Wave Silk - *all 1/2 gal flavors*
Frutzzo organic pomegranate juice
Nancy's Whole Milk Plain Yogurt
Drew's salsa
Newman's salsa
Alacer Emergen-c (whole boxes only)
bulk green lentils

Also, several items have been hard to get from our distributor recently:

Cedar Grove cheeses
Hawaiian pineapple chunks
64 oz Knudsen apple juice
Redwood Goat yogurt
Sesmark sesame thins
White Wave bbq tofu
Kettle lightly salted chips
Reed's Ginger Brew 12 packs
Blue Farm blue corn chips

We hope to have these back in with the next shipment, and apologize for any
inconvenience.

****Thanks to everyone who attended last week's Oxfam-sponsored guest
speaking engagement.

****Vison Planning folks: the final meeting is this Sunday, September 25, at
6 PM at the co-op.

EVENTS OF INTEREST/OPPORTUNITY:

****COOL OPPORTUNITY!!!!!****

The Fair Trade Federations' Fair Trade Conference is happening over the last
weekend of September/first weekend in October. Oxfam is willing to sponsor
any interested co-op staff member/member who might want to attend. They can
cover the cost of attending the conference but cannot cover food/lodging.
More information:

http://www.fairtradefederation.org/2005ftconference/index.htm

Please contact me at lisabk at gmail.com if you're interested in attending.

INFO OF INTEREST:

**** Excellent/inspiring story about a new co-op envisioned in DC:

http://www.thecommondenominator.com/091905_news2.html

**** If you're into keeping up with what's happening in the world of GMOs,
here's a great resource:

http://www.gmwatch.org/p1temp.asp?pid=1&page=1

**** France takes school vending machine matters into its own hands:

http://www.beveragedaily.com/news/news-ng.asp?n=62247-france-vending-machines-obesity

**** "Over 40 environmental, food safety, farming, responsible investment
and other groups sent a letter Friday to the heads of American Public
Television (APT) and Sacramento PBS station KVIE requesting that they pull
from distribution a new series on farming in America being underwritten by
Monsanto and other major industrial agriculture interests."

More:

http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/press_release7.25.2005.cfm

**** I'm wondering what the awareness level is among co-op members is
regarding flu, specifically Avian Flu. I'd be interested in any
opinions/ruminations/theories regarding the role of nutrition and food
purity in warding off illness. Do our communities have a plan? Please email
me your thoughts - lisabk at gmail.com. In the meantime, this seems to be an
excellent resource:

http://www.fluwikie.com/

Please feel free to forward these links to people you think might benefit
from such knowledge.

Thanks and look for #10 (already?) same time (more or less) next week!

::compiled by Outreach Co-coordinator Lisa Bralts-Kelly::