[Commotion-admin] [commotion-linux-py] olsrd fails to get routes when multiple mesh networks are present (#14)

Dan Staples notifications at github.com
Mon Jan 27 20:07:21 UTC 2014

I'm really certain this has nothing to do with interfering ad-hoc networks. We were able to reproduce the problem both when there were other ad-hoc networks present, and when there weren't any others. I did extensive testing to show that the olsrd route problem occurred if and only if the client had bad links with all its ad-hoc neighbors. As soon as one good ad-hoc link was established, olsrd started receiving olsrd packets and building a routing table. This indicates that the problem was at the link layer, not application layer.

My working hypothesis is that since the problem occurs inconsistently in the presence of other constant factors, it is indicative of a race condition. I believe the network-manager scripts are running asynchronously, and that this is responsible for screwing up the network stack during the connection process, possibly related to wpa_supplicant.

To test this hypothesis, we'd need to do try joining the same ad-hoc network both through network-manager, and without network-manager. If the later doesn't show the same symptoms, then we'll know the source of the problem.

https://github.com/opentechinstitute/commotion-linux-py/issues/14#issuecomment-33415769