[Commotion-announce] Picostation tx power offset

Josh Harle josh.harle at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 07:59:02 EST 2015

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to commotion and open-wrt, and I could really do with some
specific guidance.

I'm just gearing up to set up a mesh network across a small town as part of
an art festival.  I have 20 x Picostation M2HPs and have installed
Commotion on them all.  I took a battery-powered PoE and one of the APs for
a walk, and the range was terrible.  This led me to check the tx power and
it looks like it's way below the maximum.

I can't get it above 16 dBm, and I think it's because it (wrongly) thinks
there's a 12 dB antenna attached and so is applying that as an offset to
the 28 dBm the device can do.  (here's the output from various commands
<http://tacticalspace.org/archives/fixing-low-transmit-power-for-picostationm2hp-with-commotion-wireless/>
)

I don't have enough experience of open-wrt to know how to get around this.
The actual antenna is just 2 dB.

I've been looking at bug reports and conversations for a few hours, and
can't figure out how to change the tx power about 16 dBm.  At the moment I
can set it lower but not higher, and I am assuming I need to modify the tx
power offset?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Kind Regards,

Dr Josh Harle