[Commotion-announce] Picostation tx power offset

Adam Longwill adam.longwill at metamesh.org
Tue Feb 24 09:08:28 EST 2015

Josh, there is so much power that the hardware is designed to put out. It
is almost always better to improve the antenna rather than just pump up the
volume with radio. By increasing the tx power, each router's "voice" is
louder, but their "ears" stay the same size. If you increase the size of
the antennas, then their "ears" get more sensitive and you will see an
increase in gain. This is an unscientific explanation.

You're probably not going to find a way to increase the tx past 16db. But
by going about it that way you're going about it in the wrong way anyway.
Invest in some ballin RP-SMA antennas. Here, let me help:

Your connector:
http://www.amazon.com/Connector-RP-SMA-Antenna-Pigtail-Cable/dp/B006Z8MJ6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424786811&sr=8-1&keywords=rpsma+to+n

My fave little omni antenna:
http://www.amazon.com/Engenius-Outdoor-High-Antenna-EAG-2408/dp/B000VIA4CA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1424786864&sr=8-7&keywords=hi+gain+wifi+antenna