[Commotion-dev] Quick Update

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Wed Apr 6 17:29:35 UTC 2011

On 04/06/2011 11:54 AM, Dan Meredith wrote:
> Heya all,

Hey there. Glad to see some traffic on the list! :)

> Quickly, folks over at OTI have been working to drum up resource support
> for this awesome project. I've updated
> https://tech.chambana.net/projects/commotion with a bunch of broad high
> level text.

Cool stuff.

> With that, we hope to begin working quickly on the below:
>
> Create 	a virtual organizing and development space for programmers and
> the community coalition

Nice. That's useful.

> * Define the coalition’s goals
> * Define and expand the coalition’s partners
> * Define and announce coalition projects and partners

Will this be an open process? I understand some boot strapping usually
needs to happen behind closed doors, such that an initial proposal can
be floated out to the wider community. Just curious as to the nature of
the process.

> Solidify a Collaborative Development Strategy
> * Create common development plans
> ** Establish common development plan for Wi-Fi/GSM infrastructure
> integration
> ** Establish common development plan for Wi-Fi/GSM VOIP and SMS
> application integration

I'm very interested in the above items.

> Deploy testbeds for collaborative development
> * Implement a neighborhood/community-scale Wi-Fi/GSM infrastructure testbed
> * Create a Wi-Fi/GSM VOIP/SMS application testbed

Nice!! I live in Austin TX, and am very close to the local hacker space.
I run a small mesh network (4 nodes) and have been involved with the
VillageTelco project for some time. So I'm well versed in mesh network
deployment/optimization etc. I'm happy to test out firmware images,
tweaks, hacks etc. My last engagement was building a mesh network to
support voip applications. It was challenging but a lot of fun. We made
it work.