[Commotion-dev] Draft Roadmap

Josh King joshking at newamerica.net
Wed Jul 27 13:07:48 UTC 2011

Hey everyone,

I have published a draft roadmap for the project at:

http://tech.chambana.net/projects/commotion/wiki/roadmap

This is rough so far (and software focused, still working on adding in
more documentation and outreach tasks), but I think serves to give an
overall view of how the project is laid out and where it's heading.
Recognizing that the project is made up of a large number of different
pieces on different platforms, I've made a few structural decisions as
far as the roadmap (and a coincident refactoring of the website):

* The project has been re-structured into a number of subprojects, as it
didn't make sense to me to put a large number of projects with
substantially different codebases into one git repository. I realize
that if we end up having a large shared codebase at the end then we may
want to re-integrate, or create a shared repository drawn on by all
sub-projects. Other people may have other takes on this. In any event,
there are subprojects "Commotion-Openwrt", "Commotion-Android",
"Commotion-Windows", etc. I hope that this will also help to clarify
confusion between Commotion the overarching project and Commotion the
OpenWRT embedded firmware (now Commotion-OpenWRT). All issues from
subprojects are visible in the existing "Commotion" superproject.

* The roadmap is structured into a number of 'releases.' The first one
is a pre-release at the end of October, which will serve simply to pull
together all of the disparate software elements in their current form,
as well as give me some time to work on some features for the
Commotion-OpenWRT firmware to bring it up to feature parity with some
other firmwares out there in order to make it more useful to the
community networks we're working with to deploy and test it. Past that,
there are 4 "Developer Releases" which are split up in roughly 2-month
increments through the year, with a "Finished Release" next summer. I
structure it in this way to recognize that we need some general
milestones to hit, but that each piece of component software has its own
versioning and there's no need to try and change that, and the DR1-4
naming scheme is not likely to strongly conflict with any other
versioning scheme in use. Feedback around this is welcome, and the
timeline is likely to change slightly as the release date as required by
OTI's Internet Freedom grant award is predicated on when we actually get
the check from the US State Department, which is not yet.

I'm currently still putting items from the roadmap into the issue
tracker as it makes sense, and adding users from the existing project
into the subprojects (Redmine doesn't automatically migrate them).
People should feel free to add to the roadmap for now, just ping the
list when you do so to help me keep track of what's changed.

--
Josh King
Technologist