[Commotion-dev] Draft Roadmap

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Fri Jul 29 22:01:05 UTC 2011

On 07/27/2011 08:07 AM, Josh King wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I have published a draft roadmap for the project at:
>
> http://tech.chambana.net/projects/commotion/wiki/roadmap
>

> * The roadmap is structured into a number of 'releases.' The first one
> is a pre-release at the end of October, which will serve simply to pull
> together all of the disparate software elements in their current form,
> as well as give me some time to work on some features for the
> Commotion-OpenWRT firmware to bring it up to feature parity with some
> other firmwares out there in order to make it more useful to the
> community networks we're working with to deploy and test it. Past that,
> there are 4 "Developer Releases" which are split up in roughly 2-month
> increments through the year, with a "Finished Release" next summer. I
> structure it in this way to recognize that we need some general
> milestones to hit, but that each piece of component software has its own
> versioning and there's no need to try and change that, and the DR1-4
> naming scheme is not likely to strongly conflict with any other
> versioning scheme in use. Feedback around this is welcome, and the
> timeline is likely to change slightly as the release date as required by
> OTI's Internet Freedom grant award is predicated on when we actually get
> the check from the US State Department, which is not yet.

Why don't you guys just work with the villagetelco project? The SCEN
firmware. They are light years
ahead of everyone else in mesh. They have numerous production
deployments. I think it's better to
utilize the VT SCEN firmware and modify to suit, as opposed to starting
from scratch.

This is the approach being taken by the Free Network Foundation (of
which I'm a founder). We are moving
very close to shipping FreedomNode, which is a combination of the ideals
of FreedomBox/Byzantium/Commotion.

We are hoping to have our full reference implementation completed this
weekend and shipping a completed package
by end of August.

Everyone else seems light years away from shipping. *shrugs* We will all
see who delivers first I guess. :)