[Commotion-dev] OLSRD parameters & configuration on Android

David Oliver david at olivercoady.com
Fri Apr 6 20:08:01 UTC 2012

We're commencing work on the user interface for Android olsrd.  Since oslrd
is a low-level utility, we need to use a certain amount of care in how much
of its function we expose to the end user (and, on Android devices, we're
going to be dealing with almost entirely "end users").

As we reviewed the parameter/configuration settings (which, in fact, are
the "controls" for olsrd), we realized that a number of the settings are
likely "situation dependent".  For example, one situation might be a mesh
network of mostly mobile phones connecting to a fixed-position WAP with a
route to the Internet.  Another situation might be a mesh of all mobile
phones with one of the mobile phones having a route to the Internet.

These differing situations will impact a number of olsrd parameters, almost
all of whic are going to be hard for end users to understand.  Therefore,
we'd like to remove such configuration from view and have users, instead,
focus on situations or "usage scenarios".  And therefore, we'd like to ask
this group to help us define common situations/scenarios.

I'll put up the following strawman as a way to get started.  To be clear,
while we're sure there are many more possible scenarios, we are focused on
scenarios involving olsrd as it is running on Android mobile phones and
tablets.

Scenarios:

1. A small group (< 25) of mobile phone or tablet users staying within
range of a fixed-point WAP connected to a fixed line route to the Internet.
 Group members may come and go as they please, but the size of the group
remains relatively constant.

2. A small group (< 25) of mobile phone users, one of which has a WWAN
route to the Internet. The group is moving in space constantly, but
generally stays close together. Group members may come and go as they
please, but the size of the group remains relatively constant.

3. A large group (> 100) of mobile phone users who are moving in space
amongst a set of fixed-point WAPs connected to a fixed line route to the
Internet.  New group members are constantly joining, while others are
leaving.

4. A large group (> 100) of mobile phone users who are moving in space with
a subset of these devices (<10) which have a WWAN route to the Internet.
 New group members are constantly joining, while others are leaving.

5. A large group (> 100) of mobile phone users who are moving in space with
all devices having a possible WWAN route to the Internet.  However, for
reason of specific conditions on the ground, it is beneficial for only a
small number of the users to use their WWAN connection at a given time
(rather, it is better to 'piggyback' traffic over a few such connections).
 It is also advantageous to the situation on the group to have those few
connections "hop" among the all group members randomly at relatively short
intervals (measured in minutes). New group members are constantly joining,
while others are leaving.

6. A mobile phone or tablet group of large size (unknown) utilize a
fixed-point WAP connected to a fixed line route to the Internet.  The group
is constantly changing, in size and membership, but the access point is
safe and durable.

(WWAN = wireless wide area network)

Comments, suggestions, alternatives, and additional details welcomed.

David Oliver, Guardian Project / Oliver+Coady

David M. Oliver | david at olivercoady.com | http://olivercoady.com |
@davidmoliver | +1 914 316 1470