[Commotion-dev] kleeq -- ad-hoc net security

Ben West me at benwest.name
Thu Apr 19 17:47:03 UTC 2012

W.r.t. to potential for encryption on adhoc/mesh, I am still curious about
viability of simply pushing encrypted VPNs thru an otherwise unencrypted
mesh layer.  That is, besides whatever traffic could not already be bumped
over to SSL, would a VPN tunnel provide a more easily implementable
solution for encrypting specific paths thru the mesh?

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <
hans at guardianproject.info> wrote:

> Given that the code in the repo hasn't been touched in 5 years, I say its
> probably not going well. Maybe there's a different repo? THis is what I
> found:
>
> http://kleeq.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/kleeq/trunk/
>
> On this topic, we've been playing with https://crypto.cat, and its
> creator Nadim has been hanging out here a bit.  It seems to be a good
> implementation of group chat with end-to-end encryption.  Its
> JavaScript/PHP, so very web-focused.  Its easy to setup, we have it running
> on a Debian chroot on Android devices, so this could be a possible chat
> server for mesh.
>
> .hc
>
> On Apr 14, 2012, at 8:44 AM, Paul Bame wrote:
>
> > "KleeQ
> >    KleeQ enables secure group communications for users of
> >    low-connectivity ad-hoc networks. It provides authentication,
> >    encryption and forward secrecy for a communicating group.
> >
> >    http://crysp.uwaterloo.ca/software/
> >
> > (no idea how far along, etc, it is) -- one of several interesting
> > projects listed at that U-Waterloo web site.

Ben West
me at benwest.name