[Commotion-dev] Single su (aka Shell Fork)

Will Hawkins hawkinsw at opentechinstitute.org
Mon Aug 27 20:10:22 UTC 2012

Hello everyone!

The much-talked-about single SU functionality is ready to deploy. Most
of the functionality works through a daemon known as fork. fork is a
shell that allows "the user to remotely start a shell, manage jobs, and
give input and take output from those jobs". For more information about
fork, please refer to the project README file available at
https://github.com/opentechinstitute/shell-fork.

fork has a Java API that is used to incorporate it into the MeshTether
application. The Java API has JavaDoc to explain its usage. To "make"
the JavaDoc, use the ant target javadoc, as in
$ ant javadoc
The resulting files will be in the bin/ directory of the source code tree.

Attached to this email are the patches to the MeshTether application
that integrate fork. The patches include changes to Java source code and
Makefiles.

In order for these patches to work, you must first incorporate
shell-fork (git://github.com/opentechinstitute/shell-fork.git) as a
submodule in the external/fork path.

I'm sure that there are parts of the integration that I am forgetting to
mention. Please send email and we can hash things out.

:-)
Will