[Commotion-dev] Updated fork-shell (commotion-android) available for testing

Will Hawkins hawkinsw at opentechinstitute.org
Tue Dec 4 19:58:46 UTC 2012

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to write and ask for some help with testing a new version
of fork-shell. In this version of fork-shell, all interaction is done
over standard i/o rather than network i/o. Only the parent process of
fork can give commands and get their output. I think that this will make
fork-shell a) more secure and b) more robust.

The updates exist in a branch of fork-shell called io. To test
fork-shell with the Android app, do the following:

1. From your MeshTether source code root directory,
cd external/fork-shell
2. git pull
3. git checkout io
4. cd -
5. make -C external/ (or the make command you use to build MeshTether
application)
6. "Clean" MeshTether (through Eclipse or ant) and build.

That should do it. I have tested it locally and run it through the
various unit tests. But, before I merge io to master, I want to get some
group feedback!

Thanks in advance for giving this a shot and giving feedback!
Will