[Commotion-dev] Current Commotion deployments, bug report template, encourage more testing feedback?

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Thu Dec 6 21:41:09 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I notice from some issues being filed for Commotion-OpenWRT at
https://code.commotionwireless.net that there are now some nodes deployed
in Detroit.  (Actually I think these nodes have been deployed for months,
but the traffic in new issues in the queue has recently gone up, which is
great!)

Any other locations where folks have both deployed Commotion nodes, and are
active readers of this listserv?

I do not have Commotion nodes deployed consistently in St. Louis (yet), due
to lack of spare hardware available, but I could start pestering some of my
compadres about volunteering for guinea pig duty in exchange for the
awesome wifi.

Finally, and in follow-up to this issue filed about wifi spottiness ...
https://code.commotionwireless.net/issues/342#change-1015
... where to start on a good template for users to follow in reporting bugs?

I can report from years of experience in WasabiNet-land that the lack of
such a template will yield you lots of reports along the lines of "the wifi
is broken," with no other details.  It shouldn't be unreasonable to expect
users willing to file issue reports to also offer with some specific
information.  Indeed, that is the norm on the Lanchdpad queues for Ubuntu,
etc.

The bug reporting form presently available is here:
https://commotionwireless.net/report

What additional data points should we ask for?  For instance ...

- Type of user's device (laptop, tablet, smartphone)
- User's OS and version
- Additional info about user's wifi adapter/driver, if available (e.g.
carl9170, madwifi)
- Type of Commotion node, i.e. UBNT access point, Android device
- Version of Commotion (PR2, PR3, DR1)
- Additional notes about quality of wifi signal, e.g. user had weak signal
to Commotion node, Commotion node itself had weak signal back to gateway
node.

Finally, would it be good to provide a conspicuous link on the bug
reporting form to wiki page(s) explaining how to check for other wifi
devices on a particular 802.11 channel?  That wiki page could provide some
high-level instructions, broken down by popular OS's and devices, about how
to scan the area for free wifi channels.

--
Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net