[Commotion-dev] Android olsrd using JNI

Will Hawkins hawkinsw at opentechinstitute.org
Fri Jun 8 21:43:54 UTC 2012

Hello Hans, etc.

I had a thought over the past few days. Since we are already compiling
olsrd natively for ARM, does it make sense to invoke/suspend olsrd
through JNI?

As opposed to the way we are doing it now, this seems to have the
advantage that olsrd can look like a Thread instead of a process that
needs to be controlled via the shell. This will also give us the chance
to potentially call functions in olsrd source directly to do things like
re-read the configuration file.

I need to investigate whether running olsrd this way will limit its
ability to run as root.

If you don't see anything absolutely objectionable to this, I will spend
some time next week further evaluating the pros/cons to this approach.

Will