[Commotion-dev] Compiled images for ath5k, ar71xx, pending support ticket about periodic snapshot builds

Ben West me at benwest.name
Thu Jun 21 23:16:53 UTC 2012

Hi Hans,

I was having lots of problems getting Commotion to work under OpenWRT trunk
r32002 and newer, due to recent changes made to kernel and I think to
netifd.
https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/31640/
https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/32049/

This is what prompted my question to this list about how the meshconfig
tool works (the tool that handles node auto-config), since it apparently
stopped working for newer versions of trunk.

I do have compiled ar71xx and atheros images from when I reverted Commotion
back to trunk r31639, and I though I had published them to info.gowasabi.net,
but I may have misplaced them.

I will look and respond later today.

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <
hans at guardianproject.info> wrote:

> We tried this image and were able to get something working.  But we had to
> manually setup the wifi settings, tweak the olsrd.conf, and manually start
> olsrd.  Did we miss something or is this image not yet setup to do
> commotion by default?
>
> .hc
>
> On May 22, 2012, at 12:11 PM, Ben West wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I updated the compiled images for ath5k and ar71xx I made after some
> > further testing yesterday.  These images are compiled from the
> > commotion-openwrt repo as it existed on 5/18/12.
> > http://info.gowasabi.net/commotion-openwrt/openwrt/
> >
> > Recently flashed nodes seemed to complain about missing OLSR plugins,
> > and I wasn't sure if they were required for operation.
> >
> > (I had thought I filed an issue on Redmine @
> > https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion-openwrt/issues
> > asking if commotionbase missing some declared dependencies, but it
> > looks it may have gone missing.)
> >
> > On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 2:40 AM, Ben West <me at benwest.name> wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> In aftermath from Friday's hackathon, here are recent compiled
> >> Commotion-opewrt images for ath5k and ath9k targets, including the
> >> .config files I used and images for UBNT M and Buffalo devices:
> >> http://info.gowasabi.net/commotion-openwrt/openwrt/
> >>
> >> I have so far successfully flashed these devices, and afterwards
> >> telnetted into 192.168.1.20 to configure them:
> >> - a really crusty old FON2100 (openwrt-atheros-root.squashfs and
> >> openwrt-atheros-vmlinux.lzma)
> >> - UBNT Nanostation Loco M2
> >> (openwrt-ar71xx-generic-ubnt-nano-m-squashfs-factory.bin)
> >> - UBNT Bullet M2
> (openwrt-ar71xx-generic-ubnt-bullet-m-squashfs-factory.bin)
> >>
> >> After telnetting into each device to set a root password, I rebooted
> >> them.  All 3 nodes are now meshing w/ each other (can ping / ssh
> >> between them), confirming basic operation of both the ath5k ad ath9k
> >> drivers.
> >>
> >> Do note the ath5k images DO NOT have any luci packages compiled into
> >> the images, but are available as separate *.ipk files at the URL
> >> above.  I did this since the FON has only 16MB RAM, and just the bare
> >> image w/o the web UI leaves less than 1MB in free RAM.  Newer ath5k
> >> devices like the Open Mesh OM1P and Engenius EOC-1650 should have at
> >> least 32MB RAM to handle the web UI.
> >>
> >> Finally, leading from discussion on IRC, I added a support ticket
> >> requesting periodic (e.g. nightly or weekly) snapshot builds located
> >> on the code.commotionwireless.net server for popular targets like
> >> ath5k and ar71xx.
> >> https://code.commotionwireless.net/issues/308
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ben West