[Commotion-dev] batphone/olsr GUI dev sync

Jeremy Lakeman Jeremy.Lakeman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 21:37:13 UTC 2012

Actually, I've just reworked the way batphone executes shell commands
pretty much exactly like that in the development branch, though I'm
not keeping the shell open. These changes also make it easier to tell
the different between su permission errors and errors from executing
other commands, simplifying a fair amount of code and giving better
error messages.

We've had one phone that was impossible to root permanently, so the
software would always check for root permission when it was started.
But some other phones are very aggressive at killing background
processes (eg samsung's), which would cause the root test to pop up
quite frequently.

So we now run a foreground service when the software is "on" which
prevents us being killed, and we remember if we had root permission in
a setting that is only cleared on boot. As well as tweaking a couple
of other places where running commands as root could be avoided.

0.08 is feature complete, and we've pretty much run out of blocking
issues. So you can expect to see a release candidate build soon.