[Commotion-dev] Commotion Android build/install/testing

Doug Reith doug at theworkdept.com
Wed Oct 10 17:54:46 UTC 2012

Hello Commotion,

I was experimenting with building and installing the Commotion Android
application from the instructions in the
readme<https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion-android/repository/revisions/master/entry/README>.
I hit a few obstacles and had a few questions:

1. Initially the make build for the Android app was failing. I eventually
realized that the Makefile conditionally assigns 9 as the Android SDK
platform in line 11: SDK_PLATFORM_LEVEL ?= 9. From what I read 9 is
obsolete. The build ran sucessfully with platform level 16. Which SDK API
Level should I be using?

2. I had to explore quite a bit of the Android Developers documentation to
fill in the gaps of the Readme instructions. Including setting up device
detecting on Ubuntu<http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html#setting-up>.
Are there other Commotion Android resources (besides the readme) that
provide instructions on testing or troubleshooting?

3. After installing the app on two HTC mobile devices, we tested them and
they are either crashing or not fully functional. What is the best way for
me to debug this? Should I run the app with adb logcat and share my
findings on this commotion-dev? Is the commotion-android listserv not in
use?

*Douglas G Reith*
Developer
313.437.1244 (office)