[Commotion-dev] Commotion Android build/install/testing

Hans of Guardian hans at guardianproject.info
Wed Oct 10 18:36:49 UTC 2012

On Oct 10, 2012, at 1:54 PM, Doug Reith wrote:

> Hello Commotion,
>
> I was experimenting with building and installing the Commotion Android application from the instructions in the readme. I hit a few obstacles and had a few questions:
>
> 1. Initially the make build for the Android app was failing. I eventually realized that the Makefile conditionally assigns 9 as the Android SDK platform in line 11: SDK_PLATFORM_LEVEL ?= 9. From what I read 9 is obsolete. The build ran sucessfully with platform level 16. Which SDK API Level should I be using?

Either should be fine.  Originally Android build systems seemed to work best if you put the oldest supported version in that field.  Now they seemed to have changed their minds and say you should put the newest supported version.  If you want to compiled for android-9, you just have to install the android-9 stuff in the android updater.

> 2. I had to explore quite a bit of the Android Developers documentation to fill in the gaps of the Readme instructions. Including setting up device detecting on Ubuntu. Are there other Commotion Android resources (besides the readme) that provide instructions on testing or troubleshooting?

The README assumes that you have a fully working Android development setup.  Otherwise we'd have to maintain a duplicate set of instructions as Google's.

> 3. After installing the app on two HTC mobile devices, we tested them and they are either crashing or not fully functional. What is the best way for me to debug this? Should I run the app with adb logcat and share my findings on this commotion-dev? Is the commotion-android listserv not in use?

Post here on commotion-dev.  I'm the main author of the Commotion MeshTether, and that's the first I've heard of the commotion-android list :)

The crashes should give you a stacktrace in logcat, that's a good place to start.  Post anything here that you want to discuss.

Right now the known working devices are HTC running Android 2.x some random others.  It works on my Motorola Droid running CyanogenMod, and I can sometimes get it working on my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 running 2.3.3.  Will is currently working on 4.x support.

.hc