[Commotion-dev] MeshTether test feedback and debugging for GT-I9000 and TF-101

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Thu Sep 20 16:33:46 UTC 2012

Hey Martin,

Thanks for this thorough test report!  I'm cc'ing commotion-dev since
that's the MeshTether dev list.

On 08/25/2012 03:26 PM, Martin Asmus wrote:
> Hi Hans, hi Aaron,
>
> Here are my testing results:
> GT-I9000:
> Wpa_suppplicant-method: reinit, wifi fail afterwards, works again after
> "real" reboot.
> With "skip wpa-sup."-option: At the first glance, there´s no difference
> between the standard script and the Samsung-custom script. It seems to
> startup fine, but there comes no bssid-config to the GUI. I haven´t checked
> for now, if there is any configuration done in the system besides the
> startup of olsrd, neither if there´s any difference between the effects of
> the two scripts.
> I can take a look at the syslog if needed. I have enclosed the exportable
> logs from your App.

This sounds like my experience on Samsung devices as well.  I think
it'll take some digging to iron that process out.

> TF-101:
> Seems to startup fine with wpa-sup-mode, as well as direct-mode, but when I
> want to check the App-config, it tells that olsrd isn´t running...
> Therefore I can´t export any logs from within your app, but I can export the
> device´s syslog, if you need it.
> Tried no custom scripts so far.

This is odd, so you are seeing something like the first screen here,
where the BSSID and IP are set successfully in the "wifi info" section:
https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion/wiki/Android_Troubleshooting

You should be able to get the olsrd.log, which should tell you why olsrd
didn't start up.

> Both my devices are rooted, but with stock-ROMs. The only present
> wifi-driver structure, I can find on my devices is bcm4329.
> I think there are also different setups between some build-batches. At least
> for the transformer, I know that there was a change somewhere at build 90
> (mine is a build 50).
> Let me know if there are any patches/updates/new versions, or if any
> testing/debugging is tbd.

I was using a Nexus One with a stock firmware as my main testing device,
so stock should be OK.  But stock varies depending on the vendor.  I
think the Nexus One has a bcm4329 also.

.hc