[Commotion-dev] Disabling adhoc encryption on current nightly builds of Commotion-OpenWRT DR1?

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Wed Apr 3 18:49:11 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I'm having good success exercising recent nightly builds of
Commotion-OpenWRT DR1 on a Nanostation Loco M2.  I understand this is a new
release, and that it has an active issue queue (which I'm going to post to
soon).  I'm putting this question on the listserv right now, in case this
happens to touch on issues already filed, and also for reference of other
list members.

The Quickstart tool on the new DR1 release is really neat!  At present, I'm
trying out the tool by flashing a node and then connecting to
http://192.168.1.20/ on the node's eth0 port.

However, it looks like QS enables psk2 encryption on the node's adhoc
interface, and I have yet to figure out how to disable it.  That is, the
luci UI lists "Encryption: none" for the adhoc, and re-applying /
committing that setting via luci just seems to hang.  Likewise, manually
editing /etc/config/wireless at the command line to disable encryption is
ineffective, because I think commotiond just regenerates that file when I
issue "wifi restart", clobbering my edits.

Is there a trick to getting commotiond to not encrypt the adhoc interface?
I need the mesh unencrypted, so that the Nanostation can mesh with my
Ubuntu/commotion-mesh-applet and Android/Mesh Tether devices.

(Also, it seems that I can hack commotiond to not deploy encryption by
editing /lib/netifd/proto/commotion.sh, but I'm asking here on the list in
case there is a more elegant way.)

Thanks.

--
Ben West