[Commotion-dev] Disabling adhoc encryption on current nightly builds of Commotion-OpenWRT DR1?

seamus tuohy s2e at opentechinstitute.org
Thu Apr 4 14:09:26 UTC 2013

On 04/03/2013 02:49 PM, Ben West wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm having good success exercising recent nightly builds of
> Commotion-OpenWRT DR1 on a Nanostation Loco M2.  I understand this is
> a new release, and that it has an active issue queue (which I'm going
> to post to soon).  I'm putting this question on the listserv right
> now, in case this happens to touch on issues already filed, and also
> for reference of other list members.
>
> The Quickstart tool on the new DR1 release is really neat!  At
> present, I'm trying out the tool by flashing a node and then
> connecting to http://192.168.1.20/ on the node's eth0 port.
That is great to hear!

> However, it looks like QS enables psk2 encryption on the node's adhoc
> interface, and I have yet to figure out how to disable it.  That is,
> the luci UI lists "Encryption: none" for the adhoc, and re-applying /
> committing that setting via luci just seems to hang.  Likewise,
> manually editing /etc/config/wireless at the command line to disable
> encryption is ineffective, because I think commotiond just regenerates
> that file when I issue "wifi restart", clobbering my edits.

If you go through the manual configuration and click the "Continue with
a insecure network" button on the Keyfiles and Security page QS will
remove the servald and wpakey values from the
/etc/commotion/profiles.d/quickstartMesh profile which is used to
generate the profiles at the end of QS. Otherwise, it will keep the
default values, which are pulled from the
/etc/commotion/profiles.d/defaultMesh config file. When JK gets in the
office I will ask how commotiond intereperets the profile. From what you
are saying I am assuming that a blank line results in the default
behaviour of true. I will post again when I get the correct value to
disable encryption for the config file.