[Commotion-dev] Mesh visualization/mapping options

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Wed Apr 17 10:28:15 UTC 2013

Also moving this discussion to the dev list. We've been talking about
re-writing or replacing the clunky OLSR-Viz that we currently use to
visualize a Commotion mesh on the OpenWRT firmware. Below we mention a
couple options:

1) Freifunks super jazzy uber-visualizer:
http://freifunk-gw01.hamburg.ccc.de/ffhhmap/nodes.html
2) AlterMundi's altermap: http://mapa.mesh.altermundi.net/

I personally like the decentralized, replicated nature of Altermap,
which synchronizes data between hub nodes (using CouchDB), so that each
has a full picture of the entire network. To build off this idea, we
could have nodes pushing their link-state data to nearby hubs, and then
the nodes could periodically pull summarized snapshots of the network
map that they could present to clients. If the clients want more
detailed info, there could be a link to a nearby hub node, which would
present a visualization of the full data set. The hub node could be
running a much more in-depth visualization, perhaps using something like
Freifunk's map.

Here's a quick sketch of how this could be architected:
http://www.asciiflow.com/#Draw6659252420885764096.