[Commotion-dev] Serval Mesh Helper Device / ISM long-range meshing work

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Thu Feb 7 20:20:28 UTC 2013

Paul, that is very interesting! I am particularly interested in what
kind of throughput you can get on that frequency. Do you attach an
external antenna to one of the RP-SMA connectors?

As for battery power, I've been experimenting with providing power to a
Raspberry Pi using a series of D-cell batteries. D-cells have the most
energy capacity per density/size than any other common consumer battery,
from my investigation. For the RPi, which uses 5V USB power, drawing
500-1000 mA, a couple alkaline D-cells could last 2-3 days. I bet this
could work for your Mesh Helper as well. All I needed to get that
working was a simple step-down DC-DC converter, which costs US$2 max. A
handful of D-cells aren't exactly pocket-sized, but certainly something
you could stash in a backpack. I'm about to buy a high-current solar
cell as well, to try to make an always-on solar-powered device.

Let us know of your progress!

Dan

Dan Staples

Open Technology Institute