[Commotion-dev] Serval Mesh Helper Device / ISM long-range meshing work

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Thu Feb 7 20:36:02 UTC 2013

Hello Dan,

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 6:50 AM, Dan Staples
<danstaples at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:
> Paul, that is very interesting! I am particularly interested in what kind of
> throughput you can get on that frequency.

In principle up to about 128Kbit.  To really achieve that, we need to
rewrite the radio firmware, which needs to happen if we want them to
mesh, anyway. For now we are getting about 30Kbit, which is still
enough to do useful things with Rhizome (MeshMS, software updates,
voice-mail when we finish writing it, and other things).

> Do you attach an external antenna
> to one of the RP-SMA connectors?

It has two antennae connectors for diversity (but not MIMO), and I put
two antennae at 90 degrees on those to give some polarity diversity
and resilience, especially since we intend the thing to end up in
peoples pockets/desks/wherever. We have bought a couple of +6db yagis
as well for some more directional testing.

> As for battery power, I've been experimenting with providing power to a
> Raspberry Pi using a series of D-cell batteries. D-cells have the most
> energy capacity per density/size than any other common consumer battery,
> from my investigation. For the RPi, which uses 5V USB power, drawing
> 500-1000 mA, a couple alkaline D-cells could last 2-3 days. I bet this could
> work for your Mesh Helper as well. All I needed to get that working was a
> simple step-down DC-DC converter, which costs US$2 max. A handful of D-cells
> aren't exactly pocket-sized, but certainly something you could stash in a
> backpack. I'm about to buy a high-current solar cell as well, to try to make
> an always-on solar-powered device.

I spoke with Alex from the Pi foundation at LCA, and he says that it
is possible to get the current on a Pi down to about 50mA in sleep
mode, so some substantial gains over your initial efforts are
possible.

I need to do a blog-post on our battery solution we are using for
these prototypes, as we have ordered some samples from OptimaBattery
in China (who make lots of EV batteries).  The ones we got are a bit
of an overkill, being 10AH 12v LiFePO4 batteries, but at 120WH, they
can run stuff for quite a while.  These are US$66 in sample quantities
(plus about the same in freight!), but should run a mesh helper
prototype for about a week between recharges.

We are trying to get a flexible solar panel intime for KiwiEx, but it
is proving hard with the short lead-time due to Chinese New Year. The
other option is to get one locally for about 3x price.

> Let us know of your progress!

Will do.

Paul.