[Commotion-dev] DR1 Quickstart

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Fri Feb 22 00:43:22 UTC 2013

Hi Saemus,

Thank you for the detailed response.

I do see the commotionDaemon() function here, and it looks like it is
indeed piping hot (i.e. last changes committed w/in hours).
https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion-quick-start/repository/entry/usr/lib/lua/luci/controller/QS/QS.lua?rev=Version02

Indeed, I'm glad to see Josh has managed to get himself incorporeally
ported into luci.  That's pretty awesome. ;)

   elseif request == 'I NEED A CONFIG JOSH' then
      return nil
   elseif request == 'engage' then
      --TODO incorporate the final ubus add/select sections here

Is the Quickstart presently in either the master or Version02 branch OK to
run w/o the commotionDaemon component?  I.e. could one just manually enter
all config via www UI?

Also, do please respond if there is anything I could do to help.

https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion-quick-start/repository/show?rev=Version02

https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion-openwrt/repository/revisions/master/show/commotionfeed/commotionbase

https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion-openwrt/repository/revisions/master/show/commotionfeed/luci-commotion

https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion-openwrt/repository/revisions/master/show/commotionfeed/luci-theme-commotion

https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion-openwrt/repository/revisions/master/changes/patches/910-fix-out-of-bounds-index.patch

https://github.com/opentechinstitute/commotion-quick-start/tree/Version02
>>> .
>>> If you want to run it you will have to also grab the www directory from
>>> the main branch at
>>> https://github.com/opentechinstitute/commotion-quick-start which
>>> contains the icons, etc.
>>>
>>> To put it on a router you simply copy the www folder into the main repo
>>> directory (I will update the repo later today to include this) and then
>>> scp it over to the routers root directory recursively. Once you have
>>> done this you can go to IPADDRESS/cgi-bin/luci/QuickStart to start the
>>> quickstart.
>>>
>>> The whole quickstart configuration can be found in
>>> /etc/config/quickstart. This contains one "quickstart" section titled
>>> "options" and multiple "page" sections. "options" holds the current and
>>> last pages as well as a variable that controls weather the Quickstart
>>> page is accessible. We disable it after completion because it allows
>>> non-admin users to manipulate root level controls. A "page" contains
>>> title that is either a number (this is how the controller iterates
>>> through the quickstart) or a title that represents a side page.
>>>
>>> Each page has set of title information for its display. The page also
>>> contains a "buttonText" item that specifies the text to be placed on any
>>> button that links to it in the quickstart. A "page" can contain up to
>>> two lists. The first list is modules. This list pulls content to
>>> populate the main section. In our quickstart I have separated most pages
>>> to include only one content section. There is nothing to stop someone
>>> from customizing a page that holds multiple content items. Modules call
>>> a <modulename>Renderer function in the controller when the page is
>>> initially rendered, and a <modulename>Parser function when data from a
>>> page is submitted. This means that if you want your own module you
>>> simple add it to a page and create a renderer and a parser function.
>>> Renderer's send initial variables to the page and parsers process user
>>> input and send back errors that possible occur in the page.They stack
>>> quite well. Lastly a "page" can contain a button list. Buttons call
>>> <buttonname>Button functions when pressed that load up side pages.
>>> noBack and noNext buttons remove the auto-generated last and next
>>> buttons to allow for specialized pages.
>>>
>>> Lastly, when you get to the "this node will reset page" on version two
>>> you will have to refresh your browser, as I have removed the actual
>>> reset functionality from the quickstart to give more control to the
>>> daemon. Refreshing the router here will take you to the next page.
>>>
>>> We still have a ways to go on "prettifying" the quickstart and updating
>>> the language, and I have yet to implement the ubus calls or to upload
>>> the patches I have made to take over the captive portal. But, please let
>>> me know any feedback you may have. I will send the updated ux map and
>>> language when it finishes our current round of feedback.

> [...]

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net
314-246-9434