[Commotion-dev] What would you do with the USB port on your Commotion access point?

Joshua Breitbart breitbart at newamerica.net
Fri Jan 25 13:55:31 UTC 2013

I love this discussion. I want all of these things.

I like to think of my Commotion network as a way to speak with my
neighbors, so I'd love to see a kind of profile device. I imagine the
smallest piece of hardware that could host a super simple page with a
standard set of profile information, and with easy-to-follow
instructions for how to load it up. This page would be advertised like a
service on the network, so you could click on it in the applications
list and it would open a page in a browser that tells you a little bit
about the node host (in this case, me).

It would basically present the social complement to the technical
information the router itself is broadcasting. Could be a short video, a
profile photo, and a few lines of text. An application on a client
device could pull the information and present it in a more pleasing
format, maybe something that looked like http://cassco.co/

Ideally, this would cost only marginally more than the router itself, so
every host could also participate as a presenter on the network. Many of
the things people are talking about in this thread are also acts of
self-expression, using different kinds of data or protocols. My ideal is
the one that speaks the most basic form of expression possible. So,
bonus points if an LED on the "profile device" flashes every time
someone views your profile, or if on the profile page was a button
someone could click to make the LED turn on and off.

Josh