[Commotion-dev] IBSS-RSN for Linux

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Wed Jul 17 23:32:18 UTC 2013

On Wed 17 Jul 2013 01:48:53 PM EDT, Jordan McCarthy wrote:
> Catch-22: Wireless drivers for the fleet of netbooks don't support
> Ad-hoc mode on 13.04 - but 13.04 is required for IBSS-RSN support.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bcmwl/+bug/1160471
> (Neither the built-in or the alternate driver work, albeit for
> different reasons).
>
> Next steps:
>
> Try to install 13.04 on a non-BCM4313 chipset (laptops/adapters)
>
> Try Debian
>
> Custom-compile wpa-supplicant on 12.04 with CONFIG_IBSS_RSN=y
>

> Jordan McCarthy
> Technical Program Associate | Open Technology Institute | New America
> Foundation
> My Public Key: 0xC08D8042 | 4A61 3D39 4125 127D 65EA DDC2 BFBD A2E9 C08D
> 8042
>
> On 07/16/2013 02:10 PM, Jordan McCarthy wrote:
>> I just realized... if you look closely at the package versions to
>> which this fix was ostensibly applied, they're all designated as
>> quantal packages - meaning that 12.04 may not actually support
>> ibss-rsn at all.
>>
>> I have some secondary evidence for this conclusion as well: when I
>> configured an ad-hoc connection and tried to run <ibss-rsn
>> 02:CA:FF:EE:BA:BE> to initiate a handshake, it routinely returned
>> "UNKNOWN COMMAND", no matter how it was invoked.  So I'm guessing
>> the presence of this command in 12.10's version of wpa_cli could
>> just be a placeholder.
>>
>> (Just for the heck of it, I also tried <preauthenticate
>> 02:CA:FF:EE:BA:BE>, which yielded:
>>
>> <2>RSN: failed to get master session key from pre-auth EAPOL state
>> machines
>>> <2>RSN: pre-authentication with 02:ca:ff:ee:ba:be failed
>>

>> So I suppose I should get a machine upgraded to 13.04.
>>
>>> Jordan
>>

>> Jordan McCarthy Technical Program Associate | Open Technology
>> Institute | New America Foundation My Public Key: 0xC08D8042 | 4A61
>> 3D39 4125 127D 65EA DDC2 BFBD A2E9 C08D 8042
>>
>> On 07/15/2013 08:31 PM, Jordan McCarthy wrote:
>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/1046918

Moving to the dev list...

I remember trying to get ad-hoc working on those damn netbooks when I
was compiling Commotion-OpenWRT for x86. It seemed like a lost cause,
with those broadcom drivers.

The requirements might just have to be using a certain version of Debian
(I would suggest we stay away from being Ubuntu-specific, given their
recent bad track record regarding privacy), AND you must have a chipset
whose driver supports ad-hoc mode...

--
Dan Staples

Open Technology Institute