[Commotion-dev] Do you have a bunch of old DirectTV-style dish brackets?

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Tue Jul 23 03:17:30 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I'm revisiting this old thread to share how awesome discarded satellite TV
dish mounts are for low-cost (or even free) rooftop antenna masts.  These
two pix show clever reuse of the dish mounting bracket (sans the parabolic
dish itself), mated with a couple conduit hangers and a vertical length of
1/2" steel conduit to support the access points.

http://goo.gl/ixVTI
http://goo.gl/AltEh

To make a DIY base suitable for use on flat rooftops, you can screw
together some lengths of treated lumber into a "T", bolt the dish mounting
bracket to it, and then weigh the base down with cinderblocks.

If the rooftop is not your own, do first check with the building owner.  It
can be good diligence to use one of those black rubber mats under the
wooden base to deter rotting away the tarpaper or whatever the roof is
topped with.

I'm trying to keep a running photo log of my own rooftop adventures here,
since all of this stuff is easy to assemble:
http://gowasabi.net/content/your-rooftop

(Of course, the best is to find an orphaned dish, rubber mat, metal base,
AND cinderblocks already on the roof, just waiting to be re-purposed.)

--
Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net