[Commotion-dev] Fwd: [liberationtech] Circumventing Government-Imposed Communication Blackouts

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Tue Jul 23 16:46:34 UTC 2013

I just recently heard of it.  One of the people on the project, Yahel
Ben-David, was also involved in the AirJaldi mesh network in India.  The
rangzen software sounds like it would be very complimentary with OLSR mesh
networks.

Looks like quite an interesting project.  Its basically a secure system of
peer-to-peer delay-tolerant messaging.  On one hand, its good that they are
focusing on the layer above the actual network connectivity since it is an
area ripe for exploration.  It sounds like they are making delay-tolerant Tor,
with delay meaning hours, days, etc.

Their descriptions seem to say that this project
provide a complete networking solution when there is a network blackout.  But
when you look at the details of what the actual network is, they say it is
"leveraging whatever connectivity may be available, from full 3G/4G internet
access, through ad-hoc wifi & Bluetooth, to sneakernet (manual transport of
SD-cards)."

To use adhoc wifi, bluetooth, etc. seamlessly and transparently is quite
difficult and relies on lots of manual steps.  Sneakernet is definitely very
manual.  This means that this project will remain an "activist tool", and once
it is at all widely deployed, it will become a target like Tor is.  I suspect
Rangzen traffic will be tracked and blocked by China, etc. like how
Tor traffic is.

So the key its success of it is getting it working well with as many available
data transports as possible: mesh networks, GSM, internet, bluetooth, wifi
direct, sneakernet, etc.  Sounds like they have the money to do that.
Hopefully they'll work collaboratively and openly so that all of these related
projects can share on the hard technical details.

They have a paper which outlines their criticisms of existing approaches:
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~yahel/papers/Building_Dissent_Networks-Towards_Effective_Countermeasures_against_Large-Scale_Communications_Blackouts.FOCI2013.pdf

.hc