[Commotion-dev] getting MeshTether to build from git

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Wed Jul 24 00:16:02 UTC 2013

Hey Will,

I'd be happy to advise on the process of setting up a Jenkins box, its not too
complicated.  I recommend running it on Debian/stable.  The first question to
ask about your Jenkins box is whether you want to use it for build feedback
and tests only, or whether you want to make trusted builds from it.  I would
not trust a public Jenkins to make release builds, period.  Its not secure
enough.  A public Jenkins might be OK to make public test builds, if its
closely watched.  We need our Jenkins to produce trusted test builds, so its
not publicly available.

We have heard about the possibility of having a private Jenkins instance sync
its info with a public Jenkins instance, so you can have the best of both
worlds.  We hope to try this out some day in the not too distant future.

That said, at this point running the MeshTether job is basically zero pressure
on our build server or me.  Once its setup, it mostly just runs.  I have found
that using build slaves to be the opposite though, they can be quite unstable.

.hc