[Commotion-dev] OpenWRT AP not functioning

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Fri Jul 26 01:59:43 UTC 2013

On Wed 24 Jul 2013 05:35:22 PM EDT, Paul Gardner-Stephen wrote:
> A possibly related problem I have seen in some circumstances is that
> the mac address must be different for them both, or else only one will
> start.  This resulted in exactly the problem you are describing here.
>
> Paul.
>

> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 4:05 AM, Dan Staples
> <danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
> <mailto:danstaples at opentechinstitute.org>> wrote:
>
>     Just built Commotion-OpenWRT from scratch today, and after going
>     through
>     quickstart, the AP is not functioning. No beacons, and we can't even
>     connect to it as you would with an AP with a hidden SSID. It just
>     isn't
>     working. We've tested on multiple picostation routers, with same
>     results.
>
>     ifconfig reports the access point interface is up, it has an IP
>     address,
>     and even iwinfo reports it as being fully functioning. Yet...there are
>     no beacon frames and we cannot connect to it.
>
>     Curiously, the ad-hoc interface is working just fine.
>
>     Anyone else run into this, or can confirm? Both OpenWRT core feed and
>     the packages feed are pinned to known-working revisions.
>
>     --
>     Dan Staples
>
>     Open Technology Institute
>     https://commotionwireless.net
>     OpenPGP key: http://disman.tl/pgp.asc
>     Fingerprint: 2480 095D 4B16 436F 35AB 7305 F670 74ED BD86 43A9

Update: turns out building w/ wpa_supplicant and hostapd as separate
packages (instead of wpad which combines them into one binary) solves
the problem. A newer version of wpad/hostapd/wpa_supplicant is available
since we pinned AA to revisions from April, so Will and Jordan
experimented with using the new version.

I just built with OpenWRT pinned @36682 and the packages feed @36537,
and can confirm it fixes the problem, while including the newer version
of wpad/hostapd/wpa_supplicant. IBSS-RSN works as well.

Thanks Will and Jordan for doing a lot of hard work investigating this
today!