[Commotion-dev] OpenWRT AP not functioning

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Fri Jul 26 03:31:20 UTC 2013

I did notice approx 1.5 months ago that AA r36682+ did seem to cause
IBSS-RSN to stop working entirely, at least with nodes that had packages
hostapd and wpa_supplicant (but NOT wpad) installed.

Right now, I have a collection of nodes running AA r36681 with JUST wpad,
any they appear to be doing IBSS-RSN adhoc just fine.

Stability issues notwithstanding, is there a reason to go with the full
hostapd / wpa_supplicant packages?  I noticed you save 150-200kBytes in
firmware size using wpad instead.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM, Dan Staples <
danstaples at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:

> Update: turns out building w/ wpa_supplicant and hostapd as separate
> packages (instead of wpad which combines them into one binary) solves
> the problem. A newer version of wpad/hostapd/wpa_supplicant is available
> since we pinned AA to revisions from April, so Will and Jordan
> experimented with using the new version.
>
> I just built with OpenWRT pinned @36682 and the packages feed @36537,
> and can confirm it fixes the problem, while including the newer version
> of wpad/hostapd/wpa_supplicant. IBSS-RSN works as well.
>
> Thanks Will and Jordan for doing a lot of hard work investigating this
> today!
>
> --
> Dan Staples
>
> Open Technology Institute
> https://commotionwireless.net
> OpenPGP key: http://disman.tl/pgp.asc
> Fingerprint: 2480 095D 4B16 436F 35AB 7305 F670 74ED BD86 43A9

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net
314-246-9434