[Commotion-dev] TPLink w3040

Ufo ufo at rund.freifunk.net
Sun Jun 2 16:06:20 UTC 2013

yes, nice devices! we mesh with these in leipzig since some months.
(olsr, only ipv4, no autoconfig, clientsplash, webserver, no https, no
ppp/pppoe) pre-build firmware via openwrt imagebuilder..

root at 234-85:~# df
rootfs                     640       280       360  44% /
/dev/root                 2304      2304         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    14608       484     14124   3% /tmp
tmpfs                      512         0       512   0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock3             640       280       360  44% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay         640       280       360  44% /

here is some space left on flash and so we are able to install webcam OR
soundoutput OR of course i already tested ext-root to expand the disc
and install many more packages to usb-stick.

many people ask "how many hours are these devices working" so i made
some first tests: http://twitpic.com/cro4ok

additional hardware will lower the battery-runtime, so basic functions
should be useable without that.
built-in wifi is only 30mw, so we used usb-wifi (at least at last
#battlemesh) for more wifi (TP-Link N150 TL-WN722N)

please keep in mind, that in case of flashing that device with broken
firmware there is NO reset button working. you will a need serial
interface for recovery. maybe there is no need for a soldering iron.

Am 02.06.13 16:14, schrieb Seamus Tuohy:
> Hello All,
>
> I worked on getting a Commotion image to work on the battery powered TP
> Links that we just got in and quickly discovered that they only have 4MB
> of memory available. Even when I removed nearly every package imaginable
> I still could not get the image to build.
>
> It looks as if there is no easy way to find out the size of a squashfs
> package so I will try to remove everything except basic functionality
> and usb support and then get everything back on by running it off of a
> mounted usb this week.
>
> Just an FYI.
>
> s2e

---