[Commotion-dev] [OTI-Field] Allied Media Conference 2013 MagicNet Deployment Report

Preston Rhea prestonrhea at opentechinstitute.org
Wed Jun 26 18:44:52 UTC 2013

For the Digital Stewards flashing point, I recommend including a reference
to the MagicNet installation checklist, and include it as an appendix:
https://docs.google.com/a/opentechinstitute.org/document/d/1cLLBCwi3XPpUL8Pm3dNQmeMq7FQd3F0yAcyu4jU54z8/edit#heading=h.yn41mcf8hzzw

You may also choose to include as a prologue that creating, going through,
and refining this checklist before we left for Detroit was key to finding
some of those problems, and that it prompted Dan to make a special build
for the AMC.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Ben West <ben at gowasabi.net> wrote:

> Awesome, detailed write-up!  It's great that you used the opportunity to
> field feedback from members of the public.
>
> FWIW, I've found that changing a node's channel only seems to work
> reliably when you just reboot the node.  Likely a limitation of the
> mac80211 driver library.
>
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 5:19 PM, Dan Staples <
> danstaples at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:
>
>>  * *
>>
>> *Here's an initial reportback from the AMC conference. A more detailed
>> report will likely follow. Thanks Andy for the help on this!
>> *
>> *
>>

>> tl;dr: it had a rough start, but turned out awesome!<https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0hY7epZlXFaYjhaRVBPZGpxeUU/edit?usp=sharing>
>>

>>  -Dan
>>

>> ----
>>  *
>>
>> * *
>>
>> **
>> * *
>>
>> * *
>>
>> **
>> *
>>
>> At the 2013 Allied Media Conference (AMC), the Open Technology Institute
>> partnered with local Detroit Digital Stewards and Red Hook Digital Stewards
>> to construct a conference-wide mesh network. The purpose was to provide
>> network and Internet access to the conference attendees, provide an
>> additional training opportunity for the Detroit and Red Hook Digital
>> Stewards, and serve as a testing opportunity for Commotion DR1.1.
>> *
>>
>> *
>>
>> Process
>>
>> The construction process for the network was reminiscent of the process
>> from the previous AMC, as detailed in the AMC 2012 Commotion Deployment
>> Report<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rf8VETPlJwbgM9p9cU2evIPPjwqOdhP_S9xlsxdGFFo/edit?usp=sharing>
>> .
>>
>>    -
>>
>>    Detroit Digital Stewards spent Wednesday afternoon from around 3PM
>>    until 5PM installing Commotion DR1.1 on PicoStation M2 (PS) and NanoStation
>>    M2 (NS) units.
>>     -
>>
>>       Basic information was recorded for each node - it’s name, mesh IP
>>       address, and label.
>>        -
>>
>>       Several customizations were made - changing the Administrator
>>       password, changing the splash page timeout to 24 hours, updating the splash
>>       text, and changing the node name and SSID to match it’s location. Nodes
>>       were left “stock” otherwise.
>>        -
>>
>>    Installations were conducted on Thursday, the day prior to the
>>    official start of the conference sessions. This consisted of a tour of the
>>    sites to be installed by the team, which included OTI staff and Detroit
>>    Digital Stewards. In the afternoon the team was expanded as the Red Hook
>>    Digital Stewards arrived.
> [...]

Preston Rhea
Program Associate, Open Technology Institute
New America Foundation
+1-202-570-9770
Twitter: @prestonrhea