[Commotion-dev] Can't talk between desktop OLSRd and Commotion OpenWRT boxes

Mikael Nordfeldth mmn at hethane.se
Wed Mar 6 13:14:20 UTC 2013

Hi, I tried asking this on IRC and

<MMN-o> Heyho, I was wondering if anyone here has used the olsrd (and
commotion network manager stuff) in GNU/Linux
<MMN-o> because I'm having trouble syncing with some openwrt commotion
nodes
<MMN-o> the openwrt side won't list my desktop client in the neighbors
list (but the desktop client does it, increasing the LQ received count,
but not the NLQ successful transmission count)
<MMN-o> ...and I have no problem connecting to the openwrt node through
the adhoc network via its published ip
<MMN-o> Hm, two desktop linux olsrd's  don't seem to speak with each
other as well

I've made sure the essid and bssid stuff are identical, that I run on
the same channel etc. My two testing chipsets (one at least is a Ralink
RT2070 USB dongle) will find and communicate with TCP/IP to the other
nodes, but I can't seem to get olsrd announcement stuff to go through
it. (i.e. I receive a bunch of data about other nodes, but I can't seem
to announce my own presence?)

If it matters, the olsrd on desktop is
0.6.3-git_-hash_10502a6208c4143be6a4f9288f59de16 (Ubuntu
ppa:guardianproject/commotion) and I run the Nanostation firmware on my
Ubiquiti hardware which uses olsrd
0.6.1-git_f2308e2-hash_9aafa10165e89a5f1a11ddd87fc8d01d

The configs have been tried both with default configuration (when
running olsrd-adhoc-setup and olsrd manually, I've tried both olsrd.conf
and the /etc/nm-dispatcher-olsrd/commotionwireless.net.conf) and have
done a couple of changes here and there.

Any ideas on why my desktop can't announce to the openwrt nodes?

Probably not related I also have some trouble when doing this on my
desktop machines _without_ network-manager, where my wifi interface
doesn't get the "RUNNING" flag enabled in ifconfig. But that's probably
secondary.

--
Mikael Nordfeldth
http://blog.mmn-o.se/