[Commotion-dev] nailing down the default mesh network

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Wed May 1 21:38:12 UTC 2013

All IPv6 would be great!  It sounds like a steep hill to get over since few
people have any experience with IPv6.  So I think we should also set an IPv4
default mesh set, since that's widely deployed and understood.

As for "borrowing" any officially assigned IP range, its really a bad idea.
The internet is based on people following the rules on a voluntary basis, and
that is part of the beauty.  As Commotion and Serval, there is no internet
police, and though both Commotion and Serval are violating the rules, no one
has been arrested or detained.  Let's keep the internet working based on
respect for the rules. Please voluntarily follow the rules, so that we don't
end up with internet police.  This should not be hard since there is no good
reason to avoid using IP ranges that have been allocated for uses like this.

Sounds like the "carrier grade NAT" RFC6598 100.64.0.0/10 was specifically
allocated for this kind of use case, and covers all the requirements that I've
heard for mesh.  Otherwise the RFC1918 private, non-routable ranges will work.

.hc