[Commotion-dev] nailing down the default mesh network

Mikael "MMN-o" Nordfeldth mmn at hethane.se
Mon May 20 17:38:25 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-01 23:38, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> All IPv6 would be great!  It sounds like a steep hill to get over since few
> people have any experience with IPv6.  So I think we should also set an IPv4
> default mesh set, since that's widely deployed and understood.

I hope everyone agrees IPv6 is the best way to go .)

End-users won't notice any difference, except for the rare case of
someone trying to manually type their IP number to connect to from
another machine or something. But preferrably hostnames would be used
for this!

So, what changes would have to be made to run Commotion with an IPv6 setup?
 * olsrd apparently supports it (but I haven't tried it out myself)
 * A bunch of uci/luci configurations must be modified, I guess?

For addressing, I believe the link-local fe80::/10 network would work
well - which tends to be automatically configured for any ipv6 enabled
network interface. The method is based on something called EUI-64 and
generates an address based on the MAC with some distinctiveness for
local logic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_address#Modified_EUI-64

Looking at my current Commotion node, my wlan0 and wlan0-1 interfaces
have two distinct IPv6 link-local addresses:
wlan0           inet6 addr: fe80::dc9f:dbff:fe0e:c0bb/64 Scope:Link
wlan0-1         inet6 addr: fe80::d89f:dbff:fe0e:c0bb/64 Scope:Link

The above is given by a MAC address of DA:9F:DB:0E:C0:BB

So what would have to be stored is probably just which interface is
which (mesh, ap, secureap) and then have olsrd work only on the mesh. So
no big differences from IPv4 management, right? Maybe even less code.

--
Mikael Nordfeldth
mmn at hethane.se