[Commotion-dev] nailing down the default mesh network

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Fri May 24 21:34:18 UTC 2013

On 05/20/2013 01:38 PM, Mikael "MMN-o" Nordfeldth wrote:
> On 2013-05-01 23:38, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> All IPv6 would be great!  It sounds like a steep hill to get over since few
>> people have any experience with IPv6.  So I think we should also set an IPv4
>> default mesh set, since that's widely deployed and understood.
>
> I hope everyone agrees IPv6 is the best way to go .)
>
> End-users won't notice any difference, except for the rare case of
> someone trying to manually type their IP number to connect to from
> another machine or something. But preferrably hostnames would be used
> for this!
>
> So, what changes would have to be made to run Commotion with an IPv6 setup?
>  * olsrd apparently supports it (but I haven't tried it out myself)
>  * A bunch of uci/luci configurations must be modified, I guess?
>
> For addressing, I believe the link-local fe80::/10 network would work
> well - which tends to be automatically configured for any ipv6 enabled
> network interface. The method is based on something called EUI-64 and
> generates an address based on the MAC with some distinctiveness for
> local logic:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_address#Modified_EUI-64
>
> Looking at my current Commotion node, my wlan0 and wlan0-1 interfaces
> have two distinct IPv6 link-local addresses:
> wlan0           inet6 addr: fe80::dc9f:dbff:fe0e:c0bb/64 Scope:Link
> wlan0-1         inet6 addr: fe80::d89f:dbff:fe0e:c0bb/64 Scope:Link
>
> The above is given by a MAC address of DA:9F:DB:0E:C0:BB
>
> So what would have to be stored is probably just which interface is
> which (mesh, ap, secureap) and then have olsrd work only on the mesh. So
> no big differences from IPv4 management, right? Maybe even less code.
>
> --
> Mikael Nordfeldth
> mmn at hethane.se

In theory, I agree, but we need to see what the real world stumbling blocks
are.  For example, how well does olsrd+IPv6 work on Mac OS X, Android, iOS,
Windows, etc.?  Are there any large IPv6 OLSR meshes running anywhere?

Mikael, if you are interested in pushing this idea along, I think making a
script that does the entire setup for IPv6 for olsrd.  You can see
olsrd/files/olsrd-adhoc-setup for an IPv4 example.

.hc