[Commotion-dev] Freifunk watchdog

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Thu May 2 19:17:02 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Unfortunately, the current developer for freifunk-watchdog stated there
isn't any documentation for that tool, and probably will never be.  This
means changes could be silently pushed into these tools, with end users not
discover them until after their configuration breaks after OS upgrade.
Possibly, this problem applies for the other freifunk tools packaged into
OpenWRT, too.

Here is the source repo for the various freifunk tools presently packaged
into AA, including the freifunk-watchdog package.
http://svn.luci.subsignal.org/luci/tags/0.11.1/contrib/package/
http://svn.luci.subsignal.org/luci/tags/0.11.1/contrib/package/freifunk-watchdog/src/

>From the source for freifunk-watching, it looks like modification to
support additional UCI options in /etc/config/freifunk-watchdog that
enables/disables whether the watchdog monitor's wireless interfaces should
be straightforward.

Kludging Commotion tools to accommodate ffwatchd's eccentricities isn't an
appealing option in the long time, especially if the original dev decides
later to silently push more changes that subsequently break Commotion's
kludges, or that beget even uglier kludges.

Could I recommend one of these alternatives?

   1. Propose patches to the luci.subsignal to add UCI config options
   allowing the user to enable/disable whether watchdog touches any wireless
   interfaces.  Hopefully, the original developer would welcome the increased
   attention.
   2. If luci.subsignal.org doesn't accept patches, fork the freifunk tools
   into a git repo managed by OTI, with the patches described in #1.
   3. Don't use the Freifunk tools all.  This options is unappealing, but
   it does at least avoid having to make possibly unsustainable kludges.

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net
314-246-9434