[Commotion-dev] nailing down the default mesh network

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Fri May 3 14:47:42 UTC 2013

On 05/03/2013 10:31 AM, The Doctor wrote:
> On 05/02/2013 12:35 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> For true interoperability, the whole mesh profile needs to match:
>> SSID
>
> SSID's are for logical separation.
>
>> BSSID channel IP scheme
>
> Not necessarily.  For example, we implemented Commotion/Byzantium
> interoperability by adding a route for their network space (5/8) and
> it started working immediately.  Works great in the field, too.

If you only care about Linux, then you don't really have to worry about the IP
addressing scheme, since a node can just broadcast 255.255.255.255 to find
neighbors.

But with Mac OS X and I think BSD also, broadcasting 255.255.255.255 does not
go out to all network devices, so its functionality is limited.  Basically, to
ensure that the broadcast will be received, mesh nodes need to be on the same
subnet.

.hc