[Commotion-dev] nailing down the default mesh network

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Fri May 3 02:39:24 UTC 2013

I like the idea that Paul outlines about letting communications, as long as it
doesn't cause problems.  It sounds like Jeremy is saying it can cause
problems, like if two meshes with different LinkQualityAlgorithms are on the
same channel/BSSID, the olsrds might feed each other bad info and corrupt the
other meshes.  Is that what you're thinking Jeremy?

.hc

On 05/02/2013 07:34 PM, Jeremy Lakeman wrote:
> Serval may be forgiving, but if your olsr config doesn't match, it may lead
> to undefined behaviour....
>

> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 8:10 AM, Paul Gardner-Stephen <paul at servalproject.org
>> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> While it is true that all needs to match to get multi-hop connectivity
>> through the mesh, if BSSID + channel match (or even channel is +/- 2) then
>> single-hop traffic will be possible between nodes of different meshes,
>> which can still be helpful and transfer/share useful information.  Rhizome
>> could certainly use this kind of connection to transfer data.
>>
>> Changing the BSSID doesn't reduce the interference of colocated meshes, it
>> just stops the packets from being visible to each other.  To my mind
>> forcing separation of traffic like this is counter-productive to the goals
>> of distributed communications.  In short, I prefer the "if in doubt, allow
>> communications" approach.
>>
>> So I agree with the doctor that the BSSID should not change.
>>
>> Paul.
>>

>> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 2:05 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <
>> hans at guardianproject.info> wrote:

>>> For true interoperability, the whole mesh profile needs to match:
>>>
>>> SSID
>>> BSSID