[Commotion-dev] Preventing Commotion nodes from handing out DHCP?

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Wed May 15 00:23:05 UTC 2013

Wow, that steeple looks pretty tall on Google Maps.  Cool!  Besides the
Commotion wiki<https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion-manual/wiki/Step_by_Step_Guide>
pages<https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion-manual/wiki/Grounding_and_Lightning_Protection>
that<https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion-manual/wiki/Rooftop_Mounting_Guide>
already<https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion-manual/wiki/Installation_Safety_Checklist>cover
this, will you be using
*shielded* cat5 cable with cat5 surge arrestors?  I'm guessing that steeple
is the tallest structure for at least a few blocks, so it will be getting
visits from lightening.  The steeple should have rods up top and thick
ground cable to divert direct strikes, but you'll still want shielded cable
to prevent induced surge from fusing the ethernet chips.  I did just
recently retrieve a Nanostation M5 from a 3rd floor roof whose primary LAN
port burned out, presumably since I installed it using unshielded cable a
couple years ago.

Also, removing dnsmasq does indeed remove exactly that which would issue
DHCP leases.  However, do you know that the 10.x.x.x, 101.x.x.x, 102.x.x.x,
etc subnets which the Commotion nodes must route will be the same for all
use cases?  That is, the NAT thru the nodes generally assumes traffic
entering each interface to have a source IP within one of the subnets
configured, independent of who is giving out DHCP leases.

P.S. BKFiber looks pretty cool as a local WISP.  Is anyone on this list in
good rapport with them?  Discussions on other OTI lists about meshy
business models piques my curiosity w/r/t/ what BKFiber is up to.

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net
314-246-9434