[Commotion-dev] Torouter on Commotion

Stephanie Alarcon steph.alarcon at gmail.com
Wed May 22 16:32:06 UTC 2013

Hey all,

My apologies for not being forthcoming with good documentation of what I
worked on and found out about running Tor on Commotion.  Griffin and I
have plans to talk today or tomorrow so I can do a braindump.  This is
good incentive for me to sit down and summarize my work as promised, and
I'll get going on that this week or next.  I had some pressing home
repair issues that kept me away from my desk, but now those dragons are
mostly at bay and I'm flexible Wednesdays through Fridays.

My recommendations for further work can be summed up by this haiku:

Access Labs router:
Nice work, hard to get in touch.
It runs great, but how??

On 05/20/2013 06:08 PM, Dan Staples wrote:
> Updating the OpenWRT Tor package to the latest stable versions would be
> a benefit for everyone :)
>
> And making a LuCI interface could be useful, but there would be more to
> it than that. Did you talk to Stephanie about what she implemented?
> When we discussed the possibility of using Tor in Commotion, there were
> some factors brought up for consideration:
>
> 1. How would the end user use it? Would it be a specific access point
> on Commotion-OpenWRT that provided a transparent proxy through the Tor
> network?
> 2. If so, how do we manage the information leak risks that would
> otherwise be addressed by using the Tor browser bundle?
> 3. If we provide a transparent proxy to the Tor network, how do we
> handle local traffic for mesh-only services?
> 4. How would this be implemented in Commotion client software (android,
> linux, mac, windows)?
>
> Dan
>
> On Mon 20 May 2013 11:22:16 AM EDT, Griffin Boyce wrote:
>> So after a lengthy discussion with someone involved with Torouter, he
>> identified some outstanding features/issues
>>
>>    * Torouter doesn't have a user interface, which makes
>>      use/configuration difficult
>>    * No one is updating the OpenWRT package (though it is working, the
>>      tor binary needs occasional updates)
>>    * Current OpenWRT implementation is just "TransPort, DNSPort and a
>>      few iptables rules"
>>
>> Not sure if this would be considered an app or a feature, but what do
>> you all think?  Nat mentioned that making a generic luci interface to
>> configure tor likely wouldn't be too difficult.
>>
>> ~Griffin

> Dan Staples
>
> Open Technology Institute
> https://commotionwireless.net