[Commotion-dev] Commotion packages outside Commotion firmware

Genevieve Bastien gbastien+mesh at versatic.net
Wed Sep 11 02:22:49 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I wanted to use the Commotion-splash package, as a nice front end to
nodogsplash, on our non-commotion firmware.  I could install it, without
needing dependencies, but when I tried connection to the web interface,
I got this error message:

.../lib/lua/luci/controller/commotion-splash/splash.lua:6: module
'commotion_helpers' not found:
     no field package.preload['commotion_helpers']
     no file './commotion_helpers.lua'
     no file '/usr/share/lua/commotion_helpers.lua'
     no file '/usr/share/lua/commotion_helpers/init.lua'
     no file '/usr/lib/lua/commotion_helpers.lua'
     no file '/usr/lib/lua/commotion_helpers/init.lua'
     no file './commotion_helpers.so'
     no file '/usr/lib/lua/commotion_helpers.so'
     no file '/usr/lib/lua/loadall.so'
stack traceback:
     [C]: in function 'require'
     .../lib/lua/luci/controller/commotion-splash/splash.lua:6: in main
chunk
     [C]: in function 'require'
     /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:538: in function 'createindex_plain'
     /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:474: in function 'createindex'
     /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:566: in function 'createtree'
     /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:230: in function 'dispatch'
     /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:195: in function
</usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:194>

I needed to install luci-commotion, which adds a "Commotion" menu item
with "mesh configuration" and "mesh profile" that cause this error when
selected:

/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:448: Failed to execute cbi dispatcher
target for entry '/admin/commotion/meshconfig'.
The called action terminated with an exception:
/usr/lib/lua/luci/cbi.lua:334: Unable to read UCI data: commotiond
stack traceback:
     [C]: in function 'assert'
     /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:448: in function 'dispatch'
     /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:195: in function
</usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:194>

because it does not find the commotiond package.

Those dependencies should be stated in the packages' Makefiles.  Or
preferably and if possible, those dependencies should be removed so that
one can install, say, commotion-splash, without having to install the
full commotion suite.

If that is desirable on your part, I could help work on it.  We'd rather
use packages developed and supported by the community than rewrite our
own.  Using the full Commotion firmware is not our option, as we're
using babel for mesh protocol.  Until Commotion supports babel, if I
ever find time to implement it, as promised in an earlier thread

Thanks,
Geneviève