[Commotion-dev] Proposed repository consolidation

Josh King jking at opentechinstitute.org
Fri Apr 18 14:00:58 EDT 2014

Hi all,

So, I just wanted to float this idea. We have quite a large number of
repositories, and this makes it rather difficult to manage all of the
issues in the project across them in an organized way. We basically
spend a pretty significant amount of time trying to keep everything in
sync. As a result, I'm considering some pretty aggressive refactoring in
order to collapse a bunch of repositories into each other and archive
deprecated ones. I'd appreciate some feedback on how this would work:

* With our new cross-platform client work, we were already planning on
consolidating our several Linux and eventually our Windows and Mac
repositories into the Commotion Client repo. This would combine
luci-commotion-linux, nm-dispatcher-olsrd, commotion-linux-py,
commotion-mesh-applet, and eventually commotion-windows and
commotion-winmesh.

* Commotion-router and commotion-feed would be consolidated.

* All of the LuCI components would be consolidated, although they would
still build separate packages as they do now. This would combine
luci-commotion, commotion-lua-helpers, luci-commotion-apps,
luci-commotion-splash, commotion-debug-helper,
commotion-dashboard-helper, luci-theme-commotion, and
luci-i18n-commotion. To the extent that makes sense, we would try and
keep the code separate and clear within the repository, and use github
issue labels to designate issues that pertain to specific components.
However, most likely the versioning for those packages will have to be
in lockstep.

* OTI would grab a copy of these repositories that are no longer used,
and then delete them: serval-crypto, avahi-client, co_httpinfo,
shell-fork, olsrd-mdp.

The intent of this would be to reduce the number of repositories we have
from 40 or so to a much more manageable number, as well as reduce
confusion by removing unused repositories. However, I wanted to make
sure that this wasn't going to interfere too much with people who wanted
to use components of Commotion separately; for the LuCI packages
especially, although despite the fact that they'll live in the same git
repository, they'll still be built as separate components.

--
Josh King
Lead Technologist