[Commotion-dev] ubiquiti auto-reset

Josh King jking at opentechinstitute.org
Thu Jan 30 21:25:41 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I was speculating today about how we might be able to more smoothly
automate testing on our various testbed networks. Particularly, I was
thinking about how CONFINE uses a recovery device as a "parent" to power
cycle a stuck node (http://wiki.confine-project.eu/hw:recovery-device).
This made me think about how some Ubiquiti POEs have a reset button that
is able to send a signal over the wire to flip a node into TFTP mode in
the same way as the reset button on the node itself. I was wondering if
anyone was familiar with how that process actually worked (I assume
through sending some hi/low signal on one of the ethernet pins that the
chipset in the node recognizes), and if it was possible to simulate it
using an Arduino or similar. It would be great to be able to pair
testbed nodes with something like a raspberry pi that could remotely
reset and TFTP nodes with new firmware and run network tests independent
of the nodes themselves.
--
Josh King
Lead Technologist