[Commotion-dev] mesh speed

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Fri Jan 31 17:11:24 UTC 2014

Hi Marcio,

Does your screenshot show that you're using an HT40 mode, i.e. bonded 20MHz
channels?  I think 150Mbit/s is the maximum possible bitrate that would be
reported for a 20MHz channel, i.e. HT20 mode.  300Mbit/s is the maximum
possible rate for 40MHz channels.

Do note that the bitrate reported does not included factors like protocol
overhead.  Your link shows very good 69 dBm with very few TX retries, so
it's operating under favorable conditions (assuming noise floor is ~90
dBm).  Still, factors like ethernet protocol, 802.11 framing, artifacts of
TCP/IP stack, and driver/CPU limitations on the 2 devices you're testing
probably will cap transfer rate to somewhere around 40-50Mbit/s one way.

I run AA r39154 (not Commotion) on a collection of UBNT M5 radios, used as
a backhaul adhoc mesh, and my own casual tests on transfers rates over this
mesh suggest 20 - 40Mbit/s in actual traffic is going to be upper limit I
can expect.  That is, ~40Mbit/s max for a single hop route, and ~20Mbit/s
max for a 2-hop route, albeit over 40MHz channels on 5.8GHz band.  Channels
on 2.4GHz band will almost certainly be slower due to more ambient noise.

Faster rates would be possible with 3x3 MIMO devices like a UBNT
Powerbridge, e.g. 70-80Mbit/s under ideal conditions.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 3:35 PM, Josh King <jking at opentechinstitute.org>wrote:

> Hey Marcio,
>
> That's really cool! Have you tried running any throughput tests across
> the link? I see a speedtest in the background of your screenshot, but
> can't read it ;-)
>
> On Thu 30 Jan 2014 05:57:19 AM EST, Marcio Montenegro wrote:
> > Hi developers,
> >
> > I am testing OTI commotion on TP-LINK routers.
> > My small mesh network has only 2 nodes.
> > Node 1 is  WDR-3600 and second node is WDR-3600 (gateway to internet).
> > The 5GHz is the mesh radio and 2.4GHz radio is ap.
> > Today the mesh link reached the speed of 180Mb/s using HT40.
> >
> > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25923942/mesh.png
> >
> > Tested using Attitude Adjustment release 39408.
> > Best,
> > Marcio

> Josh King
> Lead Technologist