[Commotion-dev] ubiquiti auto-reset

L. Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Fri Jan 31 11:52:02 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Jan 30, 2014, at 10:25 PM, Josh King <jking at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was speculating today about how we might be able to more smoothly
> automate testing on our various testbed networks. Particularly, I was
> thinking about how CONFINE uses a recovery device as a "parent" to power
> cycle a stuck node (http://wiki.confine-project.eu/hw:recovery-device).

A minor update is in place here:
The approach which was originally proposed by Musti did not turn out to be doable - unfortunately.

We are now looking at other solutions. RIOT-OS [1]  and 6lowpan came to mind.

> This made me think about how some Ubiquiti POEs have a reset button that
> is able to send a signal over the wire to flip a node into TFTP mode in
> the same way as the reset button on the node itself. I was wondering if
> anyone was familiar with how that process actually worked (I assume
> through sending some hi/low signal on one of the ethernet pins that the
> chipset in the node recognizes), and if it was possible to simulate it
> using an Arduino or similar. It would be great to be able to pair
> testbed nodes with something like a raspberry pi that could remotely
> reset and TFTP nodes with new firmware and run network tests independent
> of the nodes themselves.

Absolutely. But It might be good to have them speak on a different protocol and frequency.
Something like 6lowpan or zigbee.

:)

a.

[1] www.riot-os.org/#about