[Commotion-dev] meshing over ethernet

miles miles at tenhand.com
Tue Jul 1 01:03:59 EDT 2014

My problem turns out to be with  olsrd+ serval problem. I tested by turning off all firewalls, then eventually by turning off serval signing.

OLSR in debug shows up  the following on the central node C.

[MDP] Match for 192.168.168.34
[MDP] Timestamp slack: 743296215
[MDP] Timestamp scew detected!!
[MDP] Timestamp mismatch in packet from 192.168.1.34!
[MDP] Rejecting packet from 192.168.1.34
[MDP] Checking packet for challenge response message...

Then I installed NTP server on Node F (1.34) and ntp client on node C. When clocks on the two hosts are within seconds, I get
[MDP] Checking packet for challenge response message...
[MDP] Rejecting packet from 192.168.1.34
[MDP] Checking packet for challenge response message...

or
[MDP] Match for 192.168.1.34
[MDP] Message from non-validated host!
[MDP] Timestamp mismatch in packet from 192.168.1.34!
[MDP] Rejecting packet from 192.168.1.34
[MDP] Adding signature for packet size 20
[MDP] timestamp: 1404190197

MD5 for the serval keychain libraries confirms that they are identical. I've been able to get asymmetrical routes (as mailed yesterday) using this shared key.

Host F, 1.34 is a buffalo I built from master.
 *** olsr.org -  pre-0.6.6.2-git_779bc7a-hash_4a8e5a728989421b6ecb7308a6e41f6c ***

Host C, 1.33 * node E are ubiquiti M, using the shipping 1.1rc2 image.
 *** olsr.org -  0.6.5.4-git_8b2236e-hash_3667acb4ad7e32204039db1f6b9bc660

Host E  is the same as F, but without NTP - clock skew causes F to drop all packets  from E, but sometimes they work?

And as final proof, disabling serval signing makes everything work.

Sigh.

Is there a good way to bootstrap a serval signed mesh without an Internet gateway?