[Commotion-dev] Commotion Client Development

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Mon Jun 9 16:11:18 EDT 2014

On 06/07/2014 02:25 PM, Joshua Besneatte wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks. This is exactly the project I was planning on starting myself,
> luckily I found you guys and it's already going. The enthusiasm is easy
> on my end, glad to see there are many others with my vision.
>
> I got a decent deb build working for Serval Project's serval-dna
> incorporating a bunch of the scripts from OTI's serval-dna debian
> folder. I can install/uninstall the serval-dna development fork,
> including libs/includes/etc,  however, commotiond doesn't want to
> compile against this version of serval-dna. Compilation of commotiond
> errors out stating that the llseek64 system call is not available. So
> far my only guesses are:
>
> 1. I am missing a dependency. (manpages-dev is supposed to provide
> llseek64 but installing said package did not help)
>
> 2. commotiond needs to use OTI's version of serval-dna
>
> 3. I need to rebuild SP's serval-dna as package class "single" vs "indep"
>
> If anyone could shed some light on this, that would be great.
>
> If I build and install OTI's serval-dna I am able to compile commotiond
> without problem.

The serval-dna plugin for commotiond is currently made to build against
a specific version of libservald, which you can checkout in the
'commotion-wireless' branch of OTI's fork of serval-dna.

There is a _new_ version of the commotiond plugin that I'm working on
that builds against a later version of libserval, which is in the
'refactoring' branch of commotiond. This branch should build against the
'serval-multi-key' branch of OTI's fork of serval-dna, though testing is
still in progress.

> As for the commotion-service-manager, does this still require
> luci-commotion? Luci-commotion fails to install on requirement for the
> deprecated serval-crypto.

Commotion-service-manager is also something I'm working on refactoring
and upgrading, but I believe the master branch of CSM should still be
compatible with the new versions of commotiond/serval-dna. The Debian
packaging for CSM hasn't been updated to reflect the new dependencies
however. If you're interested in doing that, that would be rad.
Luci-commotion, like serval-crypto, is no longer a dependency. We should
also add avahi-daemon to the Package dependencies, and
libavahi-client-dev to the Source dependencies.

> I have read most of the development docs and road-maps, but of course I
> may have missed something. It seems the goal is to move to using SP's
> serval-dna (for full serval compatibility) vs the OTI fork, is this
> correct? Is OTI's serval-crypto deprecated because crypto is now handled
> by SP's serval-dna?

We'd eventually like to use the Serval Project's debian package of
serval-dna, but for now we have some incompatibilities we still depend
on. Long term we'll probably drop the serval-dna plugin for commotiond
and just use serval-dna itself. The only reason we don't do that now is
because of size constraints on the router platform.

> My nick is shamanon on IRC and I am in the #commotion channel if anyone
> wants to strike up a conversation there.

Awesome. My nick is dismantl.